A still image, taken from a gas station surveillance camera, where a man caused the gas pump to explode, engulfing himself in flames.
What started out as a stupid idea of a joke, ended in a horrific manner for a man who flicked his lighter in close proximity to a gas pump filling his friend’s car with fuel, when the gas vapors ignited, engulfing himself in flames.
The episode (see video at bottom of article) was caught by the Chandler, Ariz., gas station’s surveillance camera, and shows the victim, with his body engulfed in flames, running away from the explosion.
The victim can be seen buying cigarettes at the gas station convenience store before returning to where his friend was pumping gas. He then flicked his lighter which instantly caused the fuel vapors to ignite.
The friend pumping gas can be seen as he runs away from the vehicle as does the victim who is on fire. A short time later, a woman can be seen climbing out of the driver’s side window. The man then returns to get an infant out of the back seat of the burning car.
The victim who caused the explosion, Micah Mosley, and suffered burns on 20 percent of his body, was on leave from the war in Iraq.
“It’s still not real to me,” said Courtney Moran, of the explosion that nearly killed her, her fiancé and their 18-month-old daughter. “I watch the video and go, ‘Oh my gosh, that’s us.’”
“I looked at my daughter and thought, ‘This is it,’” she told the local CBS-TV affiliate. “I was expecting the car to just blow up or something.”
“(He was) just joking around, so I told him to stop,” said Courtney’s fiancé, Jacob Marion. “I tried to hit it out of his hands, so the flame would go out. Right when I started to move my hand, it just exploded right in my face.”
Moran and Marion said they are not mad at Mosley. They do, however, hope that people grasp the seriousness of the situation and learn from it.
“Don’t mess around (like Mosley did). It’s not a joke,” Marion said.”You mess around and you don’t think before you act and something so serious can happen,” said Moran.The couple said their daughter was not even aware of what was happening. She is doing just fine.